Monday, April 14, 2008

Unit 3 lab on Muscle function

This lab is to measure the contraction of skeletal muscles under different temperature and fatigue levels. The first thing I am going to do is to put my fingers on my jaw and feel the muscles while they are relaxed and then grit my teeth. When I do this the jaw muscles tighten making them larger. The next thing I am going to do is to wrap a strip of paper around my uper arm relaxed and mark the circumference while the muscle is relaxed. Then I am going to tighten the muscle. When I did this the circumference of the arm got bigger when the muscles tightened.
The next emperiment that I am going to do is to see how the muscles react to temperature and stress. In this I am going to see how many times I can open and close my fist in 20 seconds. The result of this was 28. Then I am going to put my hand in ice water for one minute and try it again. When I did this the result was 17. This stress and temperature change reduced the amount of times I could open and close my fist drastically.

No comments: